Sunday, February 17, 2008

"I'd try." (Deja Vu)

It's not often I can view all what is going on in a Sunday service; usually I'm watching the band for the next cue or adjustment. This past Sunday I glanced down at a family new to the church and saw something small and significant.

(backstory)

Now, when I started coming to church, the whole worship and clapping was extremely odd to me. It was outside of my expectations- it wasn't a good thing or a bad thing to me. Just different (OK, I was a little freaked out about it). So "learning" worship took some time, so I completely understand new guests not actively participating like some during worship. It's pretty intimidating.

(meanwhile, back at the Hall of Justice)

This new family in worship today were singing and clapping. The dad looked at his daughter and noticed her clapping on the off beats, and bent down and showed her how to clap on the beats, like everyone on stage and in the crowd.

I'm glad that our church can be an environment for that, because if this general situation was placed in the home, with a daughter in her room listening to her iPod and a dad downstairs watching TV, this act of fathering likely wouldn't have taken place.

No comments:

Post a Comment