Wednesday, April 11, 2007

"I am NOT Hootie." (JM)

I've been listening to Hootie & The Blowfish lately. I love college rock; songs that tell stories.

Back on track-
I was perusing CMS and came across this little ditty and laughed. It was a blatant copy of Fellowship Church's series. The graphic FC has up isn't what they were running with during the series itself. But the concept is very similar. There is a site affiliated with CMS, Fickr, which has a bulletin board for comments. One comment called out the copier, who replied to the effect: we didn't copy, we took their idea and made it our own.

Right.

It brings up a murky point regarding information- what is truly accurate for information on the web? Some prescribe if it's on the 'Net, it must be true. Or if it comes in an email, it's as good as gold.

Wrong.

Information has to come from a verified source, and one must consider the integrity of the source. Take this blog for example. Most everything is my opinion on a wide range of subjects. My disclaimer at the bottom states that. As is my personality, I cringe when I know something I posted or have seen posted is not accurate. Because ultimately, decisions are made on available information, so that better be right. Else you end up in Cleveland, not Cle Elum.

Make sure the information you receive is accurate; check multiple sources. And cite your sources. Me, Myself, and I are not credible information sources, fyi.

So if you copy an idea from a HUGE church, don't think others have seen the source material and call you out. As my pastor has said many times before, my generation has been let down by every major institution- church (scandals), Wall Street (financial collapse), government (Bill C.), etc. We don't need the Internet to fail us or the generations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment