Friday, August 24, 2007

"Hey where'd you get that?" (WarGames)

Free Software!

Just kidding. I recently picked up a laptop and I am in the middle of an experiment. I am only using the software that came with the machine (like the OS, utilities and whatnot), but not the productivity software. Meaning no Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excell, Adobe Photoshop, whatever.

I run OpenOffice.org office suite. I'm typing this now in OO's Writer program, then I will copy and paste to the Blogger interface.

My email client is Mozilla's Thunderbird, with the Lightning calendar add-on. Between Thunderbird and Eudora, I was able to get Thunderbird up and running first. And I like the interface and the simplicity it operates on.

I've been able to link my calendar to my Google calendar, but it is not as transparent as I wish. Maybe I'll learn some new tricks, but so far I'm not disappointed.

I'm also running Gimp for my photo editing. Haven't used it yet. My geek journey continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment