Tuesday, April 29, 2008

"Game over, man. Game over." (Aliens)

For those that know what I do, and my core skill set:

Do I stand next to the network printer, swiping the staff's printouts, proofreading and editing them before they even see them? No.

Do I read emails grammatically first and then correct the sender in proper usage of their, there, and they're? Yes.

Do I spend three hours proofreading video content, song lyrics, scripture references, ensuring that our core value of excellence is obtained? No. 5-10 minutes top.

If I did any of these tasks, would I be helping the ministry, making sure every piece of communication is of the highest caliber? Or would I be draining resources by having rework upon rework for the slightest errors? I proofread certain emails and documents simply on spelling and basic grammar because the content and message can be more powerful if the reader recognizes the author and knows it isn't a processed and slimmed package; devoid of emotion, honesty, and power.

We all make mistakes. I've made many, and some even while I write this. But that doesn't mean that the message is confusing (well, maybe with my rambling writing) or completely incomprehensible. My philosophy is our message needs to be just as polished and refined as every other idea out there fighting for space in a person's day. I'm thinking this is a goal to obtain in everything we do.

You only get one First Impression. Better make it count.

No comments:

Post a Comment