Wednesday, April 9, 2008

"You shouldn't throw anything, Ed. Not with your back." (Ferris Bueller's Day Off)

Marketing. A term that has many definitions. In recruiting, "marketing" equals "sales." In business management, "marketing" is promotion, distribution, advertising, and sales. Note that all these words are not synonyms. Marketing is the whole kit & kaboodle (I don't even know what that means).

In a product's life, there is basically two umbrellas. Production and marketing. Unfortunately, if production results in a common good, more marketing is needed. Look at laundry detergent. A basic good market, yet there is millions of dollars of advertising spent to differentiate the products.

Contrast that with, say, Ferrari advertisements. In my life, I can't remember any sort of commercial or print advertisement for Ferraris- "Now get 2.9% financing on all 2007 599's." I just haven't seen it. True, Ferrari may target higher income mediums like Robb Report, or Cigar Aficanadio (yeah, I'm not even going to spell check that one), but its product is so upper-class that they don't need to advertise.

All-temperature Cheer, however, needs to All the help they can get, in order to Gain market share, turning the Tide for the Seventh Generation owners.

Yeah, I know that was a stretch. I just wanted to explore the word "marketing" as an overused term just on one point. I may revisit this, but for now I've said enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment