Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Things I dislike

Here's a good list of things I dislike, or depending upon the mood I'm in, hate.

1) Forgetting to get out the shower towel.

2) Dial-up ISPs. Worst. Programs. Evar.

3) Fanbois. You all know the one's I'm talking about. "OMG It's SOOO much better than the iPhone" or "SRT-4 kicks butt over any ricer!" Where is the :banghead: smiley when you need it?

4) Related to Fanbois- Brand Snobbery. With the amount of information available, choosing consumer items based solely on brand is pretty ridiculous. Plasma TVs, for example, are all sourced from the following: NEC/Pioneer, Samsung, Fujistu/Hitachi (w/NEC), Sony (w/Hitachi or NEC), LG/Zenith, or Panasonic.

5) Websites that look like they are from 1998-1999 (or actually ARE), the "critical mass" period of the Internet. Along that line, sites that are created in the 800x600 or smaller pixel box. A pass to some companies who use that format with actual creative action in the sites. Look no further than many government or city websites.

6) Dead spots with Cell phones. Especially when talking on them. And the ensuing instant call back from both parties. "I called you back and got your voicemail." "I was calling you back."

7) People who don't try to learn anything. Take a stab at something (metaphorically) first. If you succeed, congrats, you have a new skill. If you don't, you'll have a good starting point to determine if you really want it, or if it's better to find someone who can.

8) Books, as in their current format. I have a lot of books, some I'll read again. But I'd rather have them in multiple formats that allow better portability. Also, the fact they are different sizes. My OCD wants an even bookshelf. That's why I like the standard video cases. Everything looks orderly. In softcopy format, it's easier to search (ctrl + F), highlight & quote relevant sections, and doesn't require a bunch of trees. Bunch of oil and chemicals for the plastics and whatnot, but look at what we're not using!

No comments:

Post a Comment