Thursday, January 8, 2009

Hot Dawg!

Smashing Magazine is highlighting the supported features in CSS3 (Cascading Style Sheets version 3), which is pretty sweet. CSS3 is allowing for rounded corners in blocks, when currently only square corners is available. So everyone can be like Apple.com, only years behind.

New features include drop shadows, opacity, and my favorite thus far- font specification! Yes! Now web designers can force people to view fonts that are far superior to Arial, Georgia, Tahoma, and Comic Sans (shudder).

On the user side, that feature doesn't really apply to me, since I change my default browser display text I like, and whatever font is intended is a moot point.

On the downside, we are a few years away from total CSS3 acceptance. Plus IE users have roughly 50% of the browser "market". Also, as mentioned in the Smashing post, get ready for a lot of "I-do-it-because-I-can, even-if-it's-ugly" overusage.

So I'm keeping my square corners. I'm going web-retro before it gets in style. Now where are my .wav files at?

No comments:

Post a Comment